MI Midwest Industries SSM M-LOK Free Float Handguard AR15 AR-15 One Piece Forearm
AVAILABLE IN 10.5" MI-SSM-10, 12" MI-SSM-12, AND 15" MI-SSM-15 (SELECT SIZE BELOW)
- Super Lightweight 12" Rifle Length Model weighs in at only 8.5 oz with barrel nut!
- Slim 1.5" Outside Diameter
- One Five Slot Magpul MLok Polymer Rail Section INCLUDED
- Features FIVE anti-rotation QD Sling Swivel Sockets for Optional QD Swivel
- High Quality MIL-STD 1913 top rail, T-marked for accessory location
- Rugged construction from 6061 aluminum, hard coat annodized for lifetime of service
- Fully dehorned for a non-abrasive, comfortable feel
- Proprietary barrel nut and nut wrench INCLUDED
- Some minor gunsmithing required
- 100% USA Made with Lifetime Warranty
MAG581 ALUMINUM 5 SLOT 2.5" RAIL
Designed for use with all M-LOK compatible Hand Guards and Forends, M-LOK Aluminum Rail Sections allow the attachment of various 1913 Picatinny spec rail-mounted accessories such as lights, vertical grips, etc. Machined from milspec-anodized aluminum, M-LOK Rail Sections also feature beveled ends to reduce snagging and eliminate sharp corners and edges. All hardware necessary for attachment directly to M-LOK Slots on either aluminum or polymer hand guards and forends is included. 5 Slots, max overall length of 2.5".
Keymod vs M-Lok: Which Will Set the Standard?
In 2012 Vltor introduced an “open source” universal attachment system for accessories called Keymod. The desire was brilliant to create an industry standard for directly mounting handguard accessories in a well engineered system with specifications available free for any manufacturer to use. Similar to a classic Beta vs VHS video tape battle, at the 2014 NRA annual meeting, Magpul introduced a new “open source” accessory attachment system known as M-Lok. While both systems are well designed and have the same goal, they have different solutions to the modular rail. I believe both will be around for quite some time since Keymod struck first and has quickly established a well accepted place industry wide. In addition to the powerful Magpul name though, M-Lok does offer several advantages that I feel will push it to the top:
- Cheaper/easier to manufacture M-Lok rectangular cut-outs vs Keymod keyholes.
- M-Lok is capable of being built into plastic hand-guards.
- More adjustability options exist along the slot vs a fixed keyhole.
- Aesthetically better looking (opinions vary).
A WORD ON COLORS
Midwest OD Green and Dark Earth are a match for the rest of the OD Green and Dark Earth that Midwest sells (see pic at bottom which shows side by side with OD green front sight and some MI black parts). As you can see in natural light outside, the OD Green is far different from Midwest Black. However, colored metals have a different look than plastic and Midwest uses a dark OD Green similar to Magpul OD Green. Because every manufacturer is different on colors, If you aren't comfortable with having different shades I always recommend outfitting one rifle with only one manufacturer's colors. A lot of folks like the varying colors though since everything in nature varies in colors. The more variable shades on a rifle, the better camo it actually is. Alternatively, I recommend to most people to stay with Black and buy rail covers from your favorite manufacturer to match other stocks and forearms exactly. No returns on special ordered colored items unless defective.